Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Historical Recreation - Experimental Archeology

When we look at historical re-creation what are we really trying to do? What are the objectives and how do we go about achieving them? I can only answer for myself, but I have spent the last 18 years participating in various historical reenacting groups and have come to some conclusions based on my experience and outlook.

Historical re-creation, to me, entails striving to re-create and understand the trappings, motives, stresses and environment of another time and place for the dual purpose of my own personal enrichment and, since I work with historical societies, for educational purposes. I believe that before we can move ahead that we must first know where we've been.

Fewer people these days take the time to really look at our collective experiences and history as a species. At every moment we are urged to move faster and faster and, like a car going down the highway, the faster you go the more you miss. Historical re-creation is an attempt to get to know that past on a deeper level, to slow the car down as it were. By using multiple sensory stimulation we are better able to assimilate and comprehend history so much further beyond a collection of relatively meaningless dates.

To me, historical re-creation and what is called experimental archaeology go hand in hand. Experimental archaeology entails not just using some of the tools and equipment of a bygone era, but by actually living and surviving using only what would have existed in shape, material and construction to gain a deeper understanding of the conditions and lifestyle. You can't gain this understanding by putting on an outfit and parading around for a day or two at a rendezvous or similar event. For better or for worse, we generally can't just decide to ignore the modern world and choose to live in the 15th century. What we can do is isolate ourselves from it for a little while and get a feel for the 15th century or 18th century.

Through careful and scholarly research it is possible to learn a great number of details about daily life in earlier times. From these small pieces we begin to put together the larger picture. Experience and research can allow some reasonable and carefully considered theories to be constructed to fill in the blanks, at least until further investigation fills those blanks with reality. By eschewing the trappings and attitudes of the modern world we can get an inkling of what it was like to live in a world before cell phones, video games, combustion engines and electric lights. I have found that there is a profound peace to be had once free of the various electromagnetic fields that surround us every day.

As a historical re-creator and interpreter that works with historical societies, I have found that by taking those opportunities to "live" the life of ages gone by, even for a weekend, that my understanding of history and the period I am portraying is that much clearer. It allows me to bring a level of clarity from experience to my presentations and workshops. It facilitates an accurate and educational interpretation for my audience. In my opinion this allows me to reach my goal of providing an enriching and more meaningful experience. But this requires a dedicated and constant search for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

This article is courtesy of Ben Rial and Forged in Time - Handmade Knives.

Forged in Time is dedicated to the crafting of high quality medieval swords, daggers, armor, and historical reproductions as well as providing education on bladesmithing and medieval history.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment